Instagram is one of the easiest social media platforms to market your products and gain followers. You don’t need to be a social media mogul to use and market yourself properly on Instagram but here’s a little guide to help you get through it.
- Set up a username. Make it short, catchy, relevant and easy to remember. Do not use special characters. No _, @, $, %, # or any of that. Do not make your username “C40Y130Y” if you’re trying to write “CHOYBOY.” Just don’t. It looks like a fake profile or a spam/scam profile.
- Now that you have a username and your Instagram set up, log in to Iconosquare (formerly Statigram) or any Instagram analytics software. This is important because you want to be able to quantify what posts gets the most views/likes and why. Which leads to…
- #Hashtags. Unlike long tail SEO methods, hashtags should be short and to the point. You want to make sure it’s relevant to the niche you’re targeting. You should probably do some research on popularity of hashtags by just searching the term in Instagram’s search bar. You also have the benefit of creating your own hashtags. I don’t use Instagram to post pictures of my projects since it doesn’t make sense to send pictures of a wall of text, but if I were to post pictures, I’d hashtag #choyboy or something like that.
- Make your biography simple. Explain in a few words who you are, why you do what you do, your links, and maybe a few promos.
- Take a screenshot of your followers. There are times when a user would like every one of your pictures. Take a screenshot of that and Instagram their support. Everyone loves shoutouts.
- Social media is a place to engage in conversation. Tag people who engage in constant communication on your posts. Reply to users. Create conversations and build relationships. Start searching and liking other pictures. Comment.
- Automate your #hastags and likes. There are applications available that allow you to search a specific hashtag and like up to X-number of pictures per hour. Warning: Use proper hashtags and be creative. There are millions of pictures with #fashion hashtagged on it. If you like that, it will get lost in the clutter. Try to be specific and creative to search for hashtags with less than 50k pictures and focus on those.
- Like any other social media platforms, content is everything. Post at least 5-10 times a day. Instagram has millions of users and its extremely fast paced. People will scroll through pictures fast and not all pictures will appear on people’s feeds so don’t worry about reposting content. FYI, Instagram users are most active at night. Don’t worry about running out of personal content. Use content found on Instagram and just give credit to the poster by tagging them and mentioning them in the comments.
- It’s always hard in the beginning but don’t give up. Once you’re past the first 500, 1000, 2000 followers with original and reposted content and proper engagement of followers, your posts and popularity will eventually just take care of itself.
If you have any questions, feel free to comment or email me. I’d be happy to talk.